Did you Know?
- Chinatown sounds like it would be the place where most Vancouver residents of Chinese descent live.
- Welcome to Chinatown Houston, your official guide to Houston, Chinatown, and Asian Culture
- The Kanteibyo is a gaudily colored temple in the center of Chinatown.
- Yokohama Chinatown quickly developed, after the port of Yokohama had been one of the first Japanese ports to be opened to foreign trade in 1859.
- As one of the oldest buildings in Chinatown, the Wing Sang Building was built in 1889 by Yip Sang who made his fortune as a labor contractor for the CPR after working as a dishwasher, cook and cigar-maker.
- In more recent years Chinatown has extended from the bounds of Dixon, Hay and Sussex Streets to encompass a much larger area bounded by George Street in the east and Darling Harbour in the west.
- It is worthwhile to examine a diaspora community such as Chinatown vis-à-vis the postcolonial discourse because, in many ways, the two are tied together in historical development and related in their interactions with other cultures.