Did you Know?
- My revered father, regarding the village of Sikri, my birthplace, as fortunate to himself, made it his capital, and in the course of fourteen or fifteen years the hills and deserts, which abounded in beasts of prey, were converted into a magnificent city, comprising numerous gardens, elegant edifices, and pavilions of great beauty.
- Completed in 1578, Fatehpur Sikri has a grand palace where Akbar's court functioned for a few years, until the shortage of water caused the city to be abandoned.
- The city of Fatehpur Sikri was built as a sign of the Emperor Akbar's gratitude to Sheikh Salim Chisti.
- Fatehpur sikri, however remained capital for only a short period for it had to be abandoned due to shortage of water.
- Fatehpur Sikri, Fatehpur Sikri Agra, Travel Fatehpur Sikri in Agra, Fatehpur Sikri Agra India, Fatehpur Sikri India.
- The special feature in the architecture of the city is the softness of the red sandstone, which could be carved almost as easily as wood, and so lent itself readily to the elaborate Hindu embellishment.
- Fortresses are one thing, but Fatehpur Sikri has everything from huge central squares and exquisitely carved multi-tiered pavilions to precise gardens and amazingly detailed stone latticework, and everything is still immaculate.